Monday, July 27, 2009

Capellini and Mushroom Frittata with Parmesan

I did it! I made it, and it was goooooood. But not pretty (hence, no pictures) - I didn't heat the skillet well enough so it didn't brown. I will try again, though. I will!

Ingredients:

1 c. cooked capellini pasta
1 c. raw chopped mushrooms, any variety
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/3 c. grated parmesan reggiano
fresh ground pepper
salt
chili powder
oregano
margarine/butter

Directions:

Lightly brush a 10 inch skillet with olive oil; I used low fat olive oil cooking spray for a less fat preparation. Gently heat the skillet while you cook the capellini in salted water until tender. Drain the capellini.

Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients (spices to taste) in a small mixing bowl. Add the drained capellini and stir until well-mixed. Add the mixture to the skillet and pat until flat and of approximately 1 inch thickness. It should sizzle; this is a sign of it browning. While it's in the skillet, add small dollops of margarine or butter around the outsides to help it crisp on the sides. I used margarine.

When the top loses its shine, it is ready to put under the grill. I put the entire skillet into the oven at around 400 F and let it finish cooking. It will not brown before it is finished cooking. Elapsed time is approximately 4 minutes.

Upon removing the frittata from the oven, cover with a serving plate and flip the skillet over. The frittata should fall easily onto the plate and is ready for eating. Serves 2.

1 comment:

  1. this sounds good...but I can't stick a skillet in my tiny oven....I wonder if I could just cover it to cook it through? I think I'll try it some time...but not tonight since I ate a whole pizza for lunch and all :P

    -Jindo

    ReplyDelete